This simple exfoliator was one of the first DIY face products I made, for two reasons.
First, I wasn’t finding in Israel the kind of face exfoliators I was used to buying in America. I like thicker grained exfoliators with natural ingredients, like honey or oatmeal, which (of course) didn’t break my budget. I found myself only using exfoliators that I asked my parents to bring when they came to visit. It was very frustrating and not practical.
Second, around 4 years ago, I started (*and I am still on) my journey into making my own products for health and financial reasons. I saw DIY face exfoliators all over the web and I figured this was a great place to start and experiment.
Honey is also of great quality and price ranges in Israel, which I use regularly with granola, oatmeal and on crusty bread with good butter 🙂 I always have some extra honey in the pantry.
Here is your basic recipe for a natural, softening face exfoliator which if you use 3-4 times a week, should last about 4 to 6 weeks. (I tend to exfoliate every other day). If you only exfoliate your face once a week, I would refresh this recipe every 6-8 weeks. Because it is a natural recipe without a preservative, and water will tend to seep in from the shower, it might go bad around the 8 week mark.
You can also use this all over your body if you would like. I sometimes use it on my hands on those really dry winter days to soften them up. (I prefer a salt scrub on my feet. Recipe to come soon.)
Enjoy and try not to taste it! (It is that good. )
What you need:
- One glass container. (I love to use old Bonne Maman Jam containers because they are a compact size and wide open on the top.)
- 1/4 cup white sugar (You can use brown sugar, I just happen to like the texture and end color result with white.)
- 2 Tbsp of Honey (Use a soft honey. Hardened honey is great to spread on bread, but it won’t mix in well in this recipe)
- 2 Tbsp of a Carrier Oil. I always use Sweet Almond Oil which is readily available in Israel. You can use Jojoba oil or Olive oil.
- Optional: 1-2 drops of essential oils that enhance healthy skin like Lavender, Frankincense or Geranium. I tend to like this recipe without any essential oil because the smell is already amazing, but on occasion I add a drop or two of Lavender or Frankincense.
- In a glass container mix the sugar, honey and carrier oil together until it is well blended.
- Add the essential oils if using and blend through.
- Enjoy your delicious face exfoliator! Rub in a circular motion all over your face with a bit of hot water and rinse off with cold water.
If interested, here are a few other of my DIY Recipes to Try:
And click here for a list of my favorite (Israel-based) Natural and Local Health & Beauty Products.
Thanks for reading and have a great week!